Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Basil shrimp

Veggie dumplings from My Thanh. They seem like a happy bunch.


Heat olive and sesame oil, cook dumplings for 1 minute. Add a little water, reduce heat, cover for 5 minutes. Remove cover and increase heat until sides brown.


Marinated shrimp in garlic, onions, tamari, and nuoc mam. Cooked with ginger, carrots, and green beans. Seasoned with salt, pepper, dry chilli flakes; topped with scallions and basil.


Basil. When I worked at a Vietnamese restaurant, a customer complained his basil wasn't fresh. The least I could do, he said, was give him fresh sides for his pho because he "liberated you (my) people." I smiled, politely apologized, and turned towards the kitchen. Instead of getting the jerk what he wanted, I simply washed his wilted basil so it looked "fresh", returned it to him, and he was statisfied.



No comments: